A plane parallel to the base that intersects all side edges determines a polygonal section so that:
- the side edges and height are divided in the same ratio;
- the obtained section and the base are similar polygons;
- the areas of these polygons are as well as the squares of their distances to the vertex.
Relations between the elements of a regular pyramid
Let's consider a regular hexagonal, side-edged pyramid l and base edge The:
Thus we have:
The base of the pyramid is a regular polygon inscribed in a circle of radius OB = R.
- The lateral face of the pyramid is an isosceles triangle.
- The VOB and VOM triangles are rectangles.
Next: Pyramid Area and Volume